Disclaimer: Own Bamboo is a reader supported website. We are a member of Amazon Affiliates and this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning Own Bamboo receives a small commission from Amazon sellers if you make a purchase through our links, at no additional cost to you. For more information please visit out Affiliate Disclaimer Page.
This submit on plastic-free kitchen swaps is paid-for content material in affiliation with Mates of Glass.
I’m working with Mates of Glass at present to advertise the advantages of glass, by sharing my prime three plastic-free kitchen swaps. Mates of Glass is a group that helps all the things about glass packaging and advocates a life-style that features glass. There are three predominant causes for this: well being, style, and sustainability.
My Prime Three Plastic-Free Kitchen Swaps
While you first begin off decreasing your plastic utilization, utilizing glass rather than plastic may be daunting. So, I wished to point out you 3 ways wherein I’ve switched from utilizing plastic to utilizing glass in my kitchen.
1. Retailer Meals In Glass In The Fridge
Stopping meals waste isn’t at all times simple. With the perfect of intentions typically you discover one thing festering away in a bathtub in the back of the fridge.
I at all times really feel that what lets Tupperware tubs down is that relying on the model of the bathtub or how tomato-stained your tub is, you’ll be able to’t at all times see inside. And out of sight, out of thoughts. This isn’t a great factor in terms of meals waste.
One thing I’ve had good success with is storing my meals in glass jars. I can simply see the contents of the jars. This implies I’m greater than probably to make use of up my meals. For added bonus factors – glass doesn’t get tomato stained!
2. Retailer Meals In Glass In The Freezer
Do you know which you could retailer meals within the freezer in glass jars? Oh sure! It’s one of many nice plastic-free kitchen swaps! You made have heard horror tales about freezing glass. Nevertheless, I’ve discovered that in the event you keep on with the 4 golden guidelines in terms of freezing meals in glass jars then you’ll be able to eradicate breakages:
● Don’t overfill your jar. All the time depart round two inches of headspace in your jar. Because the contents freeze, they’ll broaden slightly. As such, this technique provides room for enlargement, serving to to keep away from breakage. Jars with a large mouth, fairly than bottles, make for a safer selection for freezing.
● Make sure that your meals is absolutely cooled earlier than putting it within the freezer.
● While you first put your meals within the freezer, sit the lid in your jar loosely.
As soon as your meals is totally frozen, you’ll be able to then tighten up the lid. If you happen to neglect to tighten up the lid (I usually do!), then don’t fear, it received’t have an effect on your meals.
● Lastly, watch the way you stack your jars to stop jars from falling out of the freezer. This received’t be a lot of an issue in case your freezer has drawers.
I don’t purchase particular jars for freezing meals in. As an alternative, I re-use what I have already got. Jars that I’ve discovered significantly helpful are outdated peanut butter jars and vegan mayonnaise jars.
Meals Storage On The Go
I might wax lyrical in regards to the joys of soup all day lengthy. It’s such an effective way to make use of up any leftover greens wanting a bit unhappy within the drawer of your fridge.
While making soup is straightforward, transporting soup for a simple home made lunch at work may be difficult. I’ve had many a Tupperware container or a flask leak my valuable soupy cargo over time.
By trial and error, I can safely say that what I’ve had essentially the most success with is transporting my soup in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (not a clip prime model jar). Simply guarantee that the lid is tightly screwed earlier than popping it in your bag, and take a look at to not drop your bag! In case you are accident-prone, wrapping a tea towel round your jar may also help act as a buffer. It’s additionally helpful for mopping up any soupy spills after lunch!
For an added eco bonus, in case your work doesn’t have any composting amenities, you’ll be able to convey any of your meals scraps residence in your empty jar on the finish of the day.
What makes glass a great alternative for plastic Tupperware?
In case you are impressed by these plastic-free kitchen swaps, then that’s improbable! There are six predominant causes as to why glass is an effective eco-friendly alternative to Tupperware (bear in mind – solely as soon as your Tupperware has come to the tip of its lifespan):
- Not like plastic, glass has an infinite life. It’s 100% recyclable and may be recycled infinitely with out lack of high quality – it may well take simply 30 days in your bottle or jar to return as a brand new bottle or jar to the shop shelf.
- Not like different packaging supplies, glass packaging is a wholesome selection as a result of it wants no chemical layer to guard what it incorporates, so there is no such thing as a hazard of poisonous chemical compounds, akin to BPA, leaching into meals and drinks.
- Glass preserves the style of meals and drinks completely.
- Foods and drinks preserved in glass may also help hold food and drinks more energizing for longer.
- Glass is constructed from three naturally occurring, considerable supplies – soda ash, limestone, and sand.
- Fashionable glass bottles and jars are usually as much as 40% lighter but stronger due to new manufacturing processes.
Don’t Throw Out Your Previous Tupperware Although!
Earlier than you get carried away and begin binning your outdated Tupperware, cease and take a breath. I’m an enormous proponent of utilizing up what you have got – I consider it’s merely not sustainable to throw out plastic objects you have already got in an effort to exchange them with reusables constructed from extra eco-friendly supplies. So I’m nonetheless utilizing my outdated plastic Tupperware containers, which can be in lively service till they’re now not usable.
When your tubs quit the ghost, I like to recommend solely then changing them with glass. I’ve purchased two glass tubs, however in the primary, I’ve been utilizing outdated glass jars as essentially the most sustainable and eco-friendly technique to retailer meals.
Are you a fan of glass too? Are you trying to make a few of your individual plastic-free kitchen swaps? Why not be part of the Mates of Glass group The Mates of Glass group believes that many households and retailers are unaware of those advantages of glass, and so wish to unfold the phrase. You may assist by becoming a member of the ever-growing variety of glass advocates on Instagram, Fb and/or Twitter, to assist add your voice!
PS: take a look at my information to plastic-free snack concepts for extra intelligent plastic-free concepts for the kitchen.